Building a kitchen island in your kitchen can provide a focal point for socialising and cooking. Learn how to build a kitchen island with this step by step guide from one of our Wickes experts.
Subscribe to the Wickes YouTube channel here: http://po.st/tC0ar7
For more Wickes videos click here: http://po.st/yG85np
In this tutorial we're going to building an island using two kitchen cabinets side by side with a pre-cut worktop. These are the steps to build your kitchen cabinet:
1. Work out the size and placement of your island.
2. Construct your kitchen cabinets (you can find instructions on how to build a kitchen cabinet here http://po.st/Tb4n6e)
3. Place the two cabinets where you want your kitchen island to be, making sure they're level using a spirit level.
4. Clamp the two cabinets together with a G clamp.
5. Remove the hinge plates and drill a hole underneath.
6. Screw through to the adjacent cabinet and replace the hinge plate.
7. At the back of the cabinets attach using screws through predrilled holes.
Now you'll need to construct the outer shell of your island using two base unit side panels and one breakfast bar back panel.
1. Work out where you'll attach your end panels to the floor by laying them out next to the cabinets.
2. Screw the L shaped brackets onto the end panel where the panel will meet the floor (screw 2 on each end panel for best support).
3. Clamp the side panels against the cabinets and place the back panel between - use duct tape to hold all three panels together.
4. Slide the cabinets out from the sides and back panels.
5. Using L shaped brackets attach all three panels to the floor, as well as, the two side panels to the back panel.
6. Slide the cabinet back between the side and back panels.
7. Attach the cabinets to the back panel using more L shaped brackets.
8. Attach the side panels to the cabinet by drilling through the cabinet from the inside using the predrilled holes.
9. Screw the cabinets to the side panels.
How to fit a plinth (for full details you can watch our video 'How to Fit a Plinth, Pelmet & Cornice http://po.st/CLuU0D):
1. Place the correctly cut plinth in front of the cabinet feet.
2. Mark the centre point of the feet on the board.
3. Screw the brackets centrally to the mark and roughly halfway up the plinth.
4. Slide in the clip.
5. Clip the plinth onto the legs.
How to fit the worktop:
1. Place your work surface onto the cabinets and work out exactly how you want it to sit.
2. Using L shaped brackets, drill and attach the worktop to the cabinets, use support brackets on the overhang for extra support.
3. Finally, attach doors to your cabinets. You can find full instructions on how to install cabinet doors with our tutorial here http://po.st/CefTT4
Watch more helpful DIY videos from Wickes below;
How to Home Maintenance with Wickes: http://po.st/fNQHrJ
How to Kitchens with Wickes: http://po.st/yG85np
How to Garden and Landscape with Wickes: http://po.st/pf9zt8
How to Tile a Bathroom with Wickes: http://po.st/oluOYc
How to Paint and Decorate with Wickes: http://po.st/IDBlHP
Wickes Website: http://www.wickes.co.uk/
Wickes Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Wickes.co.uk
Wickes Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wickes
Wickes YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/wickesvideo
If you'd like to find out more from Wickes, the order line number is 0330 123 4123